Chocobo Breeding (FFT0)

Chocobo breeding in Final Fantasy Type-0 lets you gain more and better chocobos for your use on the world map and in wide-area battles. There are five bloodlines of chocobos, and each has 1-4 different breeds. Their color depends on the breed, although the breeds of a certain bloodline might have colors that resemble each other.

Each bloodline has different values for the various chocobo traits. These traits are Speed (connected to max riding time), Attack power, Evasion, Damage reduction and Chance Death. Of these, ATK, EVA, DMG reduction and Chance of death are only taken into account during wide-area battles, so chocobos that are good in these categories are best used during those missions.

Basics

Starting Out

You gain the ability to breed chocobos after the second mission in chapter 2. If you visit the chocobo ranch (チョコボ牧場 [chocobo bokujou]) at that time and talk to Hishou, you will be gifted with 10 male and 10 female regular chocobos as well as 3 gysahl greens to get you started.
Be sure not to use up all the chocobos on the field, for having one breed consumes it just like using one on the field does. If you do use up all you gifted chocobos, your only option to get more is to capture wild chocobos on the world map. This happens by walking close enough to a wild chocobo for it to register. Note that some wild chocobos of non-regular breeds can be impossible to capture due to their speed unless you are on chocoboback yourself.

Talking to Hishou will thereafter give you the option to breed chocobos and view some basic info on chocobo breeding, or alternately if you have an egg born/hatched you will be either given a message that they require more time to grow or that you need to pick up your new brood before you can breed another one.
At the entrance to the chocobo ranch there is also another person, Obane, who can give you general advice about chocobos.

Breeding Process

screenies_fft0_breedachocobo.jpg

Once you choose to breed chocobos, you will be taken to the screen pictured to the right. You will require a male (オス [osu]) and a female (メス [mesu]) chocobo (these will be 'used up' in the process) and optionally some greens (野菜 [yasai]) to gain better results. You can pick any male and any female to breed, and what combination you pick will change the chances of what your new chocobo brood will consist of. These chances are further modified with greens. To see more information about the chances to gain different kinds of chocobos, see below in Breeding Results.

Once you have picked all three options (male, female and greens), you will be given a chance to review your choices. The red text mentions one possible result of your breeding attempt. If you don't like what you see (or notice you've made a mistake in the selection process), you can cancel out and redo your selections. If you're happy with the result, confirm the breeding.

From the time you breed for an egg, it takes 6 hours for the egg to hatch into baby chocobos and for those baby chocobos to grow into adulthood and ready to be picked up. This means that there is a maximum number of chocobos you can breed during one playthrough of a game. If you want to breed as many chocobos as possible, be sure to plan ahead so you can visit every 6 hours.

Information

Chocobo Breeds

In this section the various bloodlines and the breeds of chocobos are presented along with their stats. Note that male and female chocobos have different stats - males in general have more attack power while females in general have higher damage reduction.

Regular Bloodline
Breed Speed Attack Evasion DMG Reduction Death% Color
Chocobo M1 x1 0 0% 10% 50% Yellow
Chocobo F x1 0 0% 20% 50% Yellow
Attack Bloodline
Breed Speed Attack Evasion DMG Reduction Death% Color
Military Chocobo M2 x1 40 0% 20% 30% Yellow
Military Chocobo F x1 30 0% 35% 30% Yellow
Attack Chocobo M3 x1 60 0% 30% 30% Dark Purple
Attack Chocobo F x1 45 0% 50% 30% Dark Purple
Assault Chocobo M4 x1 140 0% 30% 30% Dark Blue
Assault Chocobo F x1 120 0% 50% 30% Dark Blue
Kamikaze Chocobo M5 x1 180 0% 30% 30% Dark Purple
Kamikaze Chocobo F x1 160 0% 50% 30% Dark Purple
Speed Bloodline
Breed Speed Attack Evasion DMG Reduction Death% Color6
Dash Chocobo M7 x1.5 10 0% 0% 70% Light Green
Dash Chocobo F x1.5 0 0% 15% 70% Light Green
Turbo Chocobo M8 x2 10 0% 0% 80% Blue
Turbo Chocobo F x2 0 0% 15% 80% Blue
Sonic Chocobo M9 x1.5 20 0% 20% 30% Red
Sonic Chocobo F x1.5 5 0% 30% 30% Red
Supersonic Chocobo M10 x2 20 0% 20% 30% Magenta
Supersonic Chocobo F x2 5 0% 30% 30% Magenta
Evasion Bloodline
Breed Speed Attack Evasion DMG Reduction Death% Color
Repel Chocobo M11 x1 30 80% 0% 100% Orange
Repel Chocobo F x1 20 80% 0% 100% Orange
Mirage Chocobo M12 x1 50 90% 20% 100% Purple
Mirage Chocobo F x1 30 90% 30% 100% Purple
Hidden Chocobo M13 x1 60 90% 30% 70% Green
Hidden Chocobo F x1 40 90% 40% 70% Green
Stealth Chocobo M14 x1 70 90% 30% 50% White
Stealth Chocobo F x1 50 90% 40% 50% White
Specials
Breed Speed Attack Evasion DMG Reduction Death% Color
Knight Chocobo M15 x1 200 0% 50% 10% White
Knight Chocobo F x1 180 0% 70% 10% White
Ninja Chocobo M16 x1.5 160 60% 30% 30% Dark Purple
Ninja Chocobo F x1.5 140 60% 40% 30% Dark Purple
Master Chocobo M17 x2 200 90% 50% 10% Orange
Master Chocobo F x2 180 90% 70% 10% Orange

Greens

This section lists the various greens available in the game for breeding. Note that the details of how exactly the greens affect the breeding process are listed in the section Breeding Results below, these are merely descriptions.

Greens Descriptions
Gysahl Greens (ギサール) - It is easier for a different chocobo to be born
Krakka Greens (クラッカ) - It becomes much easier for a different chocobo to be born
Tantal Greens (タンタル) - The born chocobo will resemble their father
Bahsana Greens (バサーナ) - The born chocobo will resemble their mother
Mimett Greens (ミメット) - It is easier for good chocobo to be born
Reagan Greens (レイゲン) - It is much easier for good chocobo to be born
Sylkis Greens (シルキス) - It is very much easier for good chocobo to be born
Curiel Greens (クリーエ) - More chocobo are born
Gizzar Greens (ギザール) - Many more chocobo are born

Breeding Results

screenies_fft0_itsachocoboegg.jpg

While at times the results of chocobo breeding can appear random, there are strict rules in place to decide what chocobos you get from each combination. This section will help you breed the chocobos you want at the best chance you can get.

The breed decision process goes through 2-3 stages. In the first stage, it is decided if a variable called 'difference' is calculated or not. If it is calculated, the second step will be deciding if the base chocobo will be the mother or the father.
The last step in either case is deciding what the exact breed of the new chocobos will be. In the case step 2 is taken into consideration only the parent decided there and the greens in use will be taken into account. If step 2 didn't happen, the decision will be 50% based on the mother and 50% on the father, and takes into account the greens in use in both cases.
Other than these, there is also an additional step for deciding how many chocobos will be born in that brood and for whether each will be male or female.

Miscellaneous

This section handles the information on how each type of greens affects the decision if difference is used and which of the parents will be used as a base if it is used. Lastly, it has the statistics for what gender the chocobo born will be.

Difference Base Gender
Greens Different Same Greens Father Mother Greens Male Female
None 50% 50 % None/Other 50% 50% None/Other 50% 50%
Gysahl 75% 25%
Krakka 100% 0%
Tantal 62.5% 37.5% Tantal 75% 25% Tantal 87.5% 12.5%
Bahsana 62.5% 37.5% Bahsana 25% 75% Bahsana 12.5% 87.5%
Mimett 75% 25%
Reagan 75% 25%
Sylkis 75% 25%
Curiel 62.5% 37.5%
Gizzar 62.5% 37.5%

Breed

This section handles the probabilities of getting certain chocobo breeds with the various combinations possible. If two breeds are listed with the same base/greens combination, it means there is a 50% chance of getting either.
The 'general greens' column refers to the gysahl, krakka, tantal, bahsana, curiel and gizzar greens, called that way in this step since they have the same general effect on breed. They only have a slightly better chance of a better breed being born from a certain base than using no greens. If you wish to breed for better chocobos, it would be better to use the other greens.

Regular Bloodline
Base No Greens General Greens Mimett Reagan Sylkis
Chocobo Chocobo
Military
Military Military
Attack
Attack Attack
Attack Bloodline
Base No Greens General Greens Mimett Reagan Sylkis
Military Chocobo Military Military
Attack
Attack Attack
Assault
Assault
Attack Chocobo Attack Attack
Assault
Assault
Kamikaze
Kamikaze Kamikaze
Assault Chocobo Assault Assault
Kamikaze
Kamikaze Kamikaze Kamikaze
Kamikaze Chocobo Kamikaze Kamikaze Kamikaze Kamikaze
Knight
Knight
Speed Bloodline
Base No Greens General Greens Mimett Reagan Sylkis
Dash Chocobo Dash
Turbo
Turbo Turbo
Sonic
Sonic Sonic
Supersonic
Turbo Chocobo Turbo Turbo
Sonic
Sonic Sonic
Supersonic
Supersonic
Sonic Chocobo Sonic Sonic Sonic
Supersonic
Supersonic
Repel
Repel
Mirage
Supersonic Chocobo Supersonic Supersonic Supersonic
Repel
Repel
Mirage
Mirage
Ninja
Evasion Bloodline
Base No Greens General Greens Mimett Reagan Sylkis
Repel Chocobo Repel
Mirage
Mirage Mirage
Hidden
Hidden Hidden
Mirage Chocobo Mirage Mirage
Hidden
Hidden Hidden
Stealth
Stealth
Hidden Chocobo Hidden Hidden Hidden
Stealth
Stealth Stealth
Ninja
Stealth Chocobo Stealth Stealth Stealth Stealth
Ninja
Ninja
Specials
Base No Greens General Greens Mimett Reagan Sylkis
Knight Chocobo Knight Knight Knight Knight Knight
Master
Ninja Chocobo Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja
Master
Master Chocobo Master Master Master Master Master

Brood Size

See below for your chances of getting certain-sized broods from a single egg with the various greens available.

Greens 1 chick 2 chicks 3 chicks 4 chicks 5 chicks 6 chicks 7 chicks 8 chicks 99 chicks
None 12.5% 24.9% 37.3% 24.9% - - - - 0.4%
Gysahl - - 12.4% 24.8% 37.2% 24.8% - - 0.8%
Krakka - - 12.4% 24.8% 37.2% 24.8% - - 0.8%
Tantal - - - 12.4% 24.8% 37.2% 24.8% - 0.8%
Bahsana - - - 12.4% 24.8% 37.2% 24.8% - 0.8%
Mimett - - 12.3% 24.7% 37.1% 24.7% - - 1.2%
Reagan - - 12.3% 24.7% 37.1% 24.7% - - 1.2%
Sylkis - - 12.3% 24.6% 36.9% 24.6% - - 1.6%
Curiel - - - - - - 12.4% 86.8% 0.8%
Gizzar - - - - - - 11.7% 81.7% 6.6%

Examples

Dealing with percentages can be confusing, we get it. So here are some handy examples of what you can expect with certain combinations and how exactly all these numbers should be used.

Experiment #1
Father: Chocobo
Mother: Military Chocobo
Greens: None

An easy enough example to start with. Since there are non greens, there is a 50-50 chance of difference being calculated or not. Likewise with no greens, difference being calculated means 50-50 chance of it being based on either parent. The end result for the 'base' chances are 50% of the brood being half-and-half based on the mother and father, 25% chance of it being based on the father and 25% chance of being based on the mother. All that remains then is to check what the possible base chocobo and base military chocobo combinations are for no greens used. The possible broods for this combination are listed below.

50% chance of a quarter regular chocobos and three-quarters military chocobos
25% chance of half regular chocobos and half military chocobos
25% chance of all military chocobos
Brood size 1-4 (with a very, very slight chance of 99 chicks), and around half of them will be male, half female.

Experiment #2
Father: Mirage Chocobo
Mother: Dash Chocobo
Greens: Krakka Greens

This time we again have parents of different breeds, and we have greens in play as well. Krakka means 100% of difference being calculated, with the base being mother or father 50-50. End result is listed below. As you can see, mixing two bloodlines like this is not beneficial, as you end up getting chicks from only one bloodline. Be careful of how you use krakka greens.

50% chance of half mirage chocobos and half hidden chocobos
50% chance of all turbo chocobos
Brood size 3-6 (most likely 4-6, and with a very slight chance of 99 chicks). Around half will be male, half female.

Experiment #3
Father Chocobo
Mother: Stealth Chocobo
Greens: Bahsana Greens

This time we have two very different breeds for the parents, with the father the common chocobo and the mother the rare stealth chocobo, but have taken into play bahsana greens that have high chances of the chocobo resembling their mother. This means that there's a 62.5% chance of a difference and 37.5% of no difference. If there is a difference calculation used, there will be a 75% chance that the base is the mother and 25% chance of it being the father. Listed below is how this all affects the possible broods. As you can see, you have very good chances of the mother's influence showing true, although you have a slight chance of wasting your stealth chocobo on breeding regulars. Bahsana and tantal greens can be used this way to gamble, but may be more useful for breeding either males or females of a certain breed - this is useful if you want chocobos that concentrate more on attack or on damage reduction.

46.9% chance of all stealth chocobos
15.6% chance of half regular chocobos and half military chocobos
37.5% chance of half stealth chocobos, a quarter regular chocobos and a quarter military chocobos
Brood size 4-7 (most likely 5-7, and with a very slight chance of 99 chicks). The grand majority of them will be female, the rest male.

Experiment #4
Father: Kamikaze Chocobo
Mother: Kamikaze Chocobo
Greens: Reagan Greens

Our last example has parents of the same breed combined with a bunch of reagan greens that raise the chances of the union giving you good chocobos. Chance of difference being calculated is 75%, and base is 50-50 mother and father. Note how the results show that since the parents are of the same breed, none of that matters.

100% chance of half kamikaze chocobos and half knight chocobos.
Brood size 3-6 (most likely 4-6, and with a slight chance of 99 chicks). Around half will be male, half female.


Category: Activity

Warning: creating a page through this button makes a page in the category and as a child to the page you're on right now.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License